About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Friday, November 18, 2011

Learning from a Child

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

Well, admittedly, you can't teach THIS old dog new tricks. She's so old she sometimes doesn't even remember her OLD tricks. (Help! I've fallen and I can't get up.)

But you can teach ME new tricks (I refuse to call myself an old dog). I'll tell you what I mean: I am learning to read Latin.

I just love this homeschooling thing. I'm not teaching Latin (soooooo unqualified), but my son is taking an outside class with a retired minister. And I help my son study for quizzes. AND I KNOW ALL THE VOCABULARY HE KNOWS. Woo!_Hoo!

I don't know all the verb conjugations, but give me time. His brain is a lot younger than mine, but I will catch up. I have YEARS of good study habits on me.

My son also takes an outside art history class, something else I am totally unqualified to teach.

He gets excited about painting like Mary Cassatt.

And making "stained glass" like Louis Comfort Tiffany.

He just wasn't interested when I suggested I could teach him how to draw stick figures.

He also takes an outside Spanish class. I haven't learned much yet, but I do know the most important word in Spanish: the word for vacuum. I love telling him to use the "la aspiradora" in my Southern drawl.

I'm hoping all this brain exercise will decrease my chances of dementia in a few years. But after all, if I lose my mind, I'm sure it will be because of a myriad of other reasons.

Happy weekend! Keep learnin'.
Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment