About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Pass the Avocado, Please

They say your taste changes every 7 years. I guess I'm going through my 6th rotation now because I've suddenly found I like avocados. (Who are "they" anyway??)

Yes, I've tried them before. Turned up my Southern nose every time.

But in the last six months I've started getting a taste for them after one day deciding to give them one more try. I read about all the good things in avocados. Yes, I know they have a fairly high fat content, but it's almost all the "good" monounsaturated fat. Good for your heart (and your skin). Just glowing, dahling.

So, I've been playing around with avocados. Sorry, hubby. Had to be done.

Here's my new healthy lunch when I'm feeling EXTREMELY, BEARISHLY hungry and just need to be full.

Peel, pit and mash one avocado. One is all you need - you'll have leftovers.
Add hemp hearts.

I usually end up using about four tablespoons of them. In case this is a new food to you, hemp hearts are shelled hemp seeds. They are chock-full of protein, amino acids, and good-for-you Omega 3, 6 & 9 fats. I buy them at http://www.hemphearts.com/ They also are available at some health food stores, if you have one nearby. Hemp seeds give my "Avocado Surprise" recipe some texture and stick-to-your ribs bulk.

Next, I chop and add fresh tomatoes.
Stir it all together and add a sprinkling of garlic salt to your taste. I don't feel bad at all about adding this little bit of sodium since both avocado and hemp hearts are sodium free.


I like to eat this mixture with organic blue corn tortilla chips or lime flavored tortilla chips. Either way, I promise you will not be hungry before dinner. I can manage to only eat half. It will save OK for about one day, but after that, the avocado turns a little brownish. So...share it with your friends right away.

To good health and happy eating,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment