About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Carrot Souffle

Yesterday I promised you some recipes, so I'm going to start with a great side dish I made for a potluck baby shower last weekend. Keep it handy because it works very well with Thanksgiving dinner, too, and you and I both know in our adult world, that November date is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER AND WILL BE HERE - LIKE - TOMORROW.

The great  thing about Carrot Souffle is that no kid will know he's actually eating carrots. And that they can be good for him. Imagine.

I will admit it has a little sugar, but I've reduced the amount of sugar in the original recipe that came from my friend and neighbor Kathy. No one's the wiser.

And my dear friend had me scrubbing, peeling, and boiling a pound-and-a-half of carrots before I put everything together in the recipe. No thanks. I'm not lazy. But I am busy. So I take a shortcut in my version that I think will work perfectly with your schedule, too! In addition, I try to healthy it up by adding whole wheat flour, and it turned out great.

Here goes:

Carrot Souffle

2 cans sliced carrots (rinsed and drained)
1/2 cup butter
3 large eggs
1/4 c. all-purpose whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping once to scrape down the sides.

Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or souffle dish. Bake for 1 hour, 10 minutes or until set.

It will be a little brown and crunchy around the edges (the best part - eat it before your kids can).


The texture is nice. It's officially a sweet side dish like a sweet potato casserole. But it could pass for a dessert. Yummy!

Enjoy.
Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment