About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hot Prosciutto Panini

My husband takes a sandwich every day to his office for lunch. So on Saturday afternoon, he is none too eager to eat a cold sandwich for the midday meal. And often we all need something a little heartier in the midst of our yard- or housecleaning day. So years ago I came across a panini recipe in "Cuisine at Home" magazine, which I have adapted for our family's Southern tastes. Did I say "adapted?" I meant "made easier" for the chef.

Hot Prosciutto Panini
Ingredient list for one sandwich:
thinly sliced prosciutto (available in your grocer's deli aisle)
Havarti cheese (ditto above)
one large egg
two slices of your favorite bread (I like to use whole wheat or multi-grain)
Dijon mustard
sprinkle of dried chives
splash of almond milk (or cow's milk, or nothing at all if you prefer)
Beat the egg with a splash of milk (optional) and a sprinkling of chives. Spray a small frying pan with non-stick olive oil spray and heat for a few seconds over low heat. Pour in the egg mixture and cook until done on the first side; flip and cook until done on the other side (a total of about one minute).

While the egg is cooking, assemble the other parts of the sandwich. Spread the Dijon mustard on both slices of bread and layer on two pieces of prosciutto on one side of the sandwich-to-be.

Add sliced Havarti and top with the cooked egg mixture.

Put the sandwich together, lightly butter both sides, and cook in the same small frying pan on each side until toasty brown.

Serve with fruit for a complete, hot lunch. Time to eat!
I hope you love it as much as we do.
Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment