About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Runaway Horse

If you don't have an adventure out in the country, you can always make one. We're good for that.

On Friday, my son and I traveled to "the  barn" so he could take a horseback riding lesson. Usually the time passes without incident, and everyone has a good time. But I suppose fate decided we needed one more good story to close out 2011.

After about 15 minutes on Penny the horse, she decided the lesson was over and almost bucked my son off onto the dirt below. So the teacher said it was time to give King, a larger, male horse, a whirl.

My son was riding in the open pasture, as the ring had not been dragged by the tractor post-rain. King took this as a sign that it was time to all out run. And he did. Across the entire pasture, through the pasture gate, across the barnyard, behind the barn, and clear to the other pasture. All I saw was a blur, and all I heard was "Whoa, whoa, whoa!"

Two females - humans, not horses, ran after the runaway horse carrying my son. I'm not sure why we did it; we had absolutely no hope of catching King unless he decided to stop running.


Eventually, either King stopped or my son persuaded him to do so. I was shaky, but my son was happy for the adrenaline rush. Typical adrenaline junky. He did not get that from me.

I'm just happy his rumpus remained in contact with the horse's back.

Hope your 2011 ended with a bang and that you accomplish all your 2012 goals.

Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment