About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Friday, January 20, 2012

Squash Pasta

It's hard to convince my family members that meat is not required in a meal. I really haven't persuaded them except with one dish. But I can only pull this meal out of my hat once every 45 to 60 days. Else....well, you know. The MEAT thing.

Give this a try if you want a filling, healthy meal that is super simple. Using spaghetti squash in place of pasta helps save carbs and calories and provides plenty of fiber.

Spaghetti Squash with Marinara

Cut squash in half (This is the hardest part of the entire recipe. Use a sharp knife!)
Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and place the two halves cut-side down in a roasting pan in about a 1/2 inch of water.

Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for one hour.

The squash should be tender when you take it out of the oven. Carefully (it is extremely hot!!), use a potholder to pick up each half, draining out any accumulated water. Shred the insides of the squash into a bowl by scraping a fork through it, pulling it into strands.



All you need to do from here is top with your favorite marinara sauce. It's great to make your own, but on swim team nights, I grab a jar of Paul Newman's marinara sauce (lowest sugar count around) and go to town.

Happy healthy eating!
Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment