About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Friday, February 3, 2012

Homeschooling Ho-hum

When us moms decide to homeschool our children, we are full of bright-eyed optimism. Our children are going to be the brightest the world has ever seen! And we are going to have spreadsheets of lesson plans six months in advance! And yada yada yada, as George Costanza would say.

And then it becomes mid-winter, and the school days become a little dreary and ho-hum and looooong.

During my first year of homeschooling, I thought we were slipping come January and I couldn't understand why I was having trouble keeping it interesting and my son was having trouble BEING interested.

With a little more experience under my belt and conversations with lots of other moms, I've realized that ALMOST EVERY HOMESCHOOLING MOM (and student) feels this way about mid-January to mid-February.

Just knowing that others are struggling a little this time of year helps. I don't think it's that misery loves company. I'd rather none of us feel any misery. I think it just helps to know you're not alone. We all struggle during the darker, colder winter days.

What's the solution?

A step back, maybe. We put away the science book and started work on a related lap book on horses. Then we put that aside to create a science fair project on bridge construction.

We put aside our usual math book to take a stab at Life of Fred: Fractions.

And we're working in a field trip to the zoo. And we cut it a little short on Fridays sometimes for horseback riding or playtime at a friend's house.

Do what you gotta do. I've found it all works out by the end of the school year. A change of pace puts a little more energy back in the remaining school days, especially once March hits.

Chins up moms and teachers!
Love,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment