About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Mouthwatering Meatloaf: Best Church Cookbook Recipes

I adore using cookbooks printed by the ladies of Southern churches. The recipes are timeworn and tested, with families all over the South - at home and at after-church potlucks - having a chance to give them the "thumbs up" they need to make it into the cookbook.

I have adapted this meatloaf recipe from one such cookbook, "Blessings from Our Table," and it is loved by the meat-eaters in my family. I've tweaked it by using lean venison instead of beef and increasing the amount of flavorful topping, but if you have beef, that works fine.

Here goes.

Minnesota Meatloaf

2 lbs. ground venison (or beef)
1 1/2 c. bread crumbs (I often use Panko bread crumbs)
1 c. milk (I successfully use unsweetened original almond milk)
1 small finely diced onion
2 beaten eggs
1 1/2 tsp. sage (I make mine heaping teaspoons because I love the taste of sage)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together and pat into an 8x8 casserole dish.
Topping:
6 T. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 c. ketchup
2 tsp. dry mustard

Mix all topping ingredients well and spread over the meatloaf in the dish.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for one hour.

It's not a dish that's beautiful to the eye, but beautiful to the palette.

Enjoy! We scarfed down mashed potatoes and green beans with it.

TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment