About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Keeping Groceries Affordable

Gas prices aren't the only things reaching for heaven these days. The price of groceries is continuing to climb. And yes, I know all about the power of coupons; however, some of us don't have all the time it takes to mount the massive couponing effort necessary to save considerable money on weekly groceries.

I do clip coupons, often matching them up with the Publix sales flyer. I spend about two hours a week searching, clipping, and pulling together the menu and grocery lists each week. And that's about all the time I have with my writing/PR business, homeschooling, cleaning, chauffeuring, and cooking duties all calling my name.

I've found a better way to save money at the store, and it often surprises me more people don't take advantage of it. I shop at ALDI. Check the web; I'm sure you can find one nearby.

They don't accept coupons and only take cash or debit cards, but that isn't usually a problem. Their prices are lower without coupons than the traditional grocery store with coupons. For example, bananas at Publix are $0.69/lb.; at Sam's Wholesale Club, they're $0.46/lb., and at Aldi, they're $0.39/lb.

I bought 8 oz. of cheddar cheese at Publix for $2.69; the next week, I bought the same product for $1.49 at Aldi. In fact, the previous month, Aldi's cheese was $1.79; the price on this product is dropping.

Publix brand cream of chicken soup costs $0.95; Aldi's costs $0.59.

I paid $2.93 for a small bag of Quaker rice snacks at Publix; the next week, I paid $1.99 for a larger bag of Aldi's cheddar cheese rice snacks.

Publix's fresh strawberries cost me $3.49; the same size container at Aldi cost me $2.49.

See what I mean? The same value as coupons but for those of us who are time (or patience) deprived.

The food is great, and I have always been satisfied with Aldi's quality. They even have non-food items on special from time to time. I bought a really great camouflage sleeping bag rated to -40 degrees Fahrenheit for Cub Scout campouts for $39. A steal!

I hope you can take this advice and save yourself some money this month.

Best of luck,
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment