About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Healthy Asparagus Side Dish

I'm usually poking around recipe sites and scanning cookbooks (I have a small library) for a new way to prepare a vegetable side dish. I figure the more ways I present vegetables to my son, the greater the likelihood he will find some versions he likes.

I never really cared for asparagus, but I've found a quick and easy way to prepare it that turns my tastebuds on (and the whole family's, too). It's perfect for nights when there's soccer practice (or swim team in our household) because it takes about one minute to prep and 12 minutes to cook.

Roasted Asparagus
Ingredients:
one bunch of fresh asparagus
extra virgin olive oil
seasoned salt

Wash/dry asparagus and break or cut off the tough, woody stems (usually the bottom one-third of the stalk). They will break easily at the appropriate spot if you just grasp them in both hands and try to snap in half. Make sure you purchase stalks with a smaller diameter; the larger ones are tougher.

Spread out the stalks in a casserole dish. I like to use a stone dish because it adds an extra layer of crispness.
Drizzle with just a little olive oil. I am using extra virgin that I purchased at ALDI very inexpensively.
Roast the asparagus in a preheated 450 degree oven for 6 minutes; stir and cook another 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with seasoned salt.
This is from ALDI, too, and it's a super-good price.

Watch them disappear!
Happy Easter!
He is risen!

TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment