About Dana

My photo
I'm a dichotomy of blue jeans, pretty jewelry, frugalista, and Southern girl living the simple rural life. I want to live my life holistically, thoughtfully, economically, and most of all gratefully, and encourage other women to do the same.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Simple Fruit Salad

I need a little spring in my life. The weather is cold and windy, but I feel as if I'm ready for something tropical. I suppose it will be a fruit salad since I don't see a beach retreat in my near future.

In the South, we like to slather our fruit salad with a dressing that contains a whole lot of mayonnaise or cream cheese or sour cream or something  totally fattening. When I'm really in the mood for something light and sweet, however, it's hard to beat a simple salad that lets the natural flavors shine through. (And saves you about a zillion calories).

I made a fruit salad last week when the weather was extra dreary. The beauty of this Simple Fruit Salad is the God-given ability to use any fruit you happen to have in the refrigerator or sitting on the counter. For my salad, I used blackberries, bananas, navel oranges (all from Aldi), and kiwi fruit (Sam's Club). In keeping with the healthy theme, I melted one to one-and-a-half  tablespoons of organic honey in the microwave and drizzled over the fruit mixture, topping with chopped pecans and dried cranberries.



The mint in my garden has disliked the cold weather as much as I have, so I did not have it to add to the dish this time, but it makes a wonderful addition.

The sky's the limit on variations. Trade out any of the fruits for something else, or substitute slivered almonds or chopped walnuts for pecans.

After having fruit dressed simply like this, I have begun to prefer it over the traditional, heavier alternatives. (And I'm thinking I may have to exercise fewer minutes because of it all).

Add a little sunshine to your day!
TCB

No comments:

Post a Comment